Friday 13 June 2014

Celebrating Flash Fiction - Peter Domican

I met Peter two years ago on National Flash Fiction Day at the flash fiction slam in the Albion Beatnik bookshop in Oxford. I have a feeling I'd already spotted some of his Friday Flash stories, because I remember being pleased to meet him, but we've been sharing stories and conversations about Spurs, politics, Nordic Noir and the wonders of the Gladstone Library ever since. Peter is another author I really enjoy. His stories are subtle, full of heart and emotion, capturing the important moments of life. Here in Snow Angels a little girl's desire to play in the snow has an emotional resonance for her grandfather. Whilst That Voice Again published in last year's NFFD flashflood is a perfect description of the awkwardness of bumping into your ex. And The Last, Last Ride ,shortlisted for the New Poetry and Prose Award 2011, is a beautiful reflection of how growing up limits life's pleasures.

What I like about Peter's writing is that he is a real master at keeping things short, and it is not surprising his work has been featured in a number of anthologies including ‘Pay Attention: A River Of Stones’, ’100 RPM – One Hundred Stories Inspired By Music’, the second ‘Friday Flash’ anthology, ‘A Blackbird Sings’ and Sixwords Online Magazine. I also love his non-fiction posts on his blog, thoughtful pieces driven by his innate empathy and humanity. I am so delighted he's coming to Oxford for the Evening of Flash Fiction on the 21st June. If you're coming along, I can guarantee you'll hear some great stories, and if you're not, please do check out his blog.

No comments: